Friday, October 29, 2010

Columbus Leaves Spain

Columbus, when did you leave Spain?
First of all, I couldn't have left Spain unless on April 1492, King Ferdinand V and Queen Isabella I of Spain had agreed to sponsor my expedition.

What ships did you use, and can you tell me the story of your voyage?
 I had three ships in my fleet which were the Santa Maria, the Pinta, and the NiƱa. My ships departed on August 3, 1492 from Palos, Spain.  On my first expedition I discovered San Salvador in the Bahamas.  On the second trip, I came back and helped establish colonies there.  On the third one I found South America.  During my fourth and final trip, I set up a colony in Panama.


 Would you call these discoveries important?
Of course.  My discovery of the Western Hemisphere led to the rapid and lasting European settlement there.





"Christopher Columbus." World History: Ancient and Medieval Eras. ABC-CLIO, 2010. Web. 14 Nov. 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment