Friday, October 29, 2010

Great Schism

Pope Urban VI, what's the story behind the Great Schism?
On April 8, 1378 A.D. I was elected the Pope.  I made an attempt to reform the papal court, and then I was accused of being corrupt and assuming too much authority during the papacy's long stay in Avignon.  The cardinals said I couldn't be the Pope and that the Frenchman Clement VII would be the Pope.  I refused to step down, and we excommunicated one another.

Could you describe the split for me?
The split resulted in two lines of Popes between 1378 A.D. and 1417 A.D.. There were two papal courts, a Roman and a Avignon one.

Why was the Great Schism important?
The Schism caused lots of damage to the prestige of the papacy.  On a positive note, it also remained and helped set the stage for the dramatic reform movements of the next century.





"Great Schism." World History: Ancient and Medieval Eras. ABC-CLIO, 2010. Web. 10 Nov. 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment